Thursday, November 20, 2008

Barkley Comes to Oak Lake Community School


After we sang O Canada, Mrs. Williams (our secretary) buzzed our classroom on the intercom. She said, "Come to the office. There is something you should see." When we got down to the office, we saw a beaver outside on the front steps of the school. He was wearing a red t shirt. Mrs. Caldwell said we should let him in. He felt very cold! It is -28 degrees Celsius with the windchill this morning!

We were excited and happy. We brought the beaver to our classroom. We had to decide on a name. Some of the names were Buddy, Bobby Joe, Bouncy, Benny, Barnaby, and Bart. All the names started with B! We made a graph on the Smart Board and voted. 5 kids wanted to name our beaver Barkley, 2 kids liked the name Buddy, 3 kids chose the name Bart, and 1 person picked Bouncy. So his new name is Barkley the Beaver. We think it is a good name because beavers like to eat bark!







Our beaver was very cold waiting on the step!

8 comments:

Mrs. Norrie said...

We thought the picture of the beaver waiting outside by the door was adorable! The Grade 4/5 class has a few questions for the Kinders. How did you react when you found the beaver? Do you have anymore clothing for Barkley? How old is Barkley? Who will take Barkley home first? How did the class come up with the names? From The OLCS Gr 4/5 Class.

Anonymous said...

Hello Barkley Beaver,
Piggley here in Ireland.
I really like your red T-Shirt! You'll really have to wrap up for the Manitoba winter chill! It's not as cold here in Ireland. Today was 3 degrees celcius! I wonder if I would be able to come and visit you all some time in Canada? I'm sure Ms. O' Connell could sort out my passport for me!

Lots of Irish good wishes!!
Piggley. Oink!

Unknown said...

Barkley is so cute! I love his tail. Keep posting... I'll look forward to it!
~Kayliegh Penner

Anonymous said...

I love your new mascot Kinders! I was so surprised to find a beaver at the front door of OLCS this morning! What a perfect name you have chosen for a beaver - Barkley! What do you think a beaver would like for lunch??? Hope he doesn't snack on Mrs. Caldwell's desk! Please see what you can learn about what Barkley likes to eat and do!
I hope you can share the school rules with Barkley so he will stay safe and happy at OLCS!
Brenda

Unknown said...

I wondered how many people were knocking on my door this morning! When I got to the door, it was all the Kinders and Mrs. Caldwell and a big brown beaver! When the Kinders introduced him to me and the Grade 5's, they told us his name was Barkley. I think he has a wonderful name and a beautiful tail. I hope he behaves in music class when he comes!

Devon Caldwell said...

One of our moms might have clothes for Barkley at home. We were excited and surprised when we saw Barkley at the door. We will draw names out of the hat to see who gets to take Barkley home. Barkley is five years old like us. We voted on names for Barkley.

Devon Caldwell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs Obach said...

Hi Kindergartens & Barkley!

What an exciting surprise to find a class mascot on the doorstep! I'm very sad I wasn't there when you found him, but I'm very excited to meet Barkley and learn more about him! Does he have any favourite foods? What does he like to do with you at school? Is there anything else you can tell me about him?